Year 9 Drug Use task
Learning Intention: Understand the different skills & information needed to complete the in-class task in Week 5.
- I can identify the different information tools available on the library website.
- I can confidently identify the elements of the C.R.A.P. test to evaluate websites.
- I understand how to assess and judge the quality of an organisation that youth can go to for help with substance abuse.
- I can use appropriate language to explain cause and effect when it comes to the effects of drug use
Link to Assessment task notification
Tips for multiple choice
Explore the library webpage
Be aware of all the information tools, how they work and what they look like
CLICKVIEW, BRITANNICA, LIBRARY CATALOGUE, GALE: NEWS, GALE: High School
Understand your PDHPE workbook. Focus on the topic area ‘It could happen to you’
Short Answer questions
Paraphrasing and putting things in your own words
Tips for short answers
Evaluating websites can be done using the C.R.A.P test.
For example look at Drug and Alcohol information website
- How recent is the information?
- How recently has the website been updated?
- Is it current enough for your topic?
- What kind of information is included in the resource?
- Is content of the resource primarily opinion? Is is balanced?
- Does the creator provide references or sources for data or quotations?
- Who is the creator or author?
- What are the credentials? Can you find any information about the author’s background?
- Who is the published or sponsor?
- Are they reputable?
- What is the publisher’s interest (if any) in this information?
- Are there advertisements on the website? If so, are they cleared marked?
Purpose/Point of View
- Is this fact or opinion? Does the author list sources or cite references?
- Is it biased? Does the author seem to be trying to push an agenda or particular side?
- Is the creator/author trying to sell you something? If so, is it clearly stated?
Tips for extended response
ASSESS – To make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size
Consider – reliability, longevity, performance, standards, mission, purpose, usability, target audience, contact info, support provided, organisation background
How do you evaluate a help organisation?
Showing cause & effect
Use this infographic to help demonstrate cause and effect
Creating citations correctly for your bibliography
APA formatting requires;
Author Last name, I. (date) Title. Retrieved from URL