Representations of masculinity
5 A’s of Research methodology
1. ASK What are you really interested in?
What are your key terms – Synonyms, search terms
Sex stereotypes, sex roles, gender bias, gender role
Men in sport
Reality TV stereotypes
2. ACQUIRE primary and secondary research – Statistics
3. ANALYSE the issues and opinions
4. APPLY information to your literature review. Make judgements, draw conclusions using direct quotes, referencing and justification of opinions.
5. ASSESS Honestly reflect on your research methodology. Problems, solutions, reading and sources and surprises.
Henig, R. M. (2017). Rethinking Gender. National Geographic, 231(1), 48–73.
A Portrait of Gender Today. (2017). National Geographic, 231(1), 14–15.
Is masculinity toxic? (2019) International Journal for Masculinity Studies Volume 14
In toxic hating masculinity: MMA hard men and media representation. (2020) Sport in history Volume 40
Rogers, A. A. , Nielson, M. G. , Santos, C. E. , Liu, W. M. & Wong, Y. J. (2021). Manning Up While Growing Up. Psychology of Men & Masculinities, 22(2), 354–364. doi: 10.1037/men0000296.
Paaßen, B., Morgenroth, T., & Stratemeyer, M. (2017). What is a True Gamer? The Male Gamer Stereotype and the Marginalization of Women in Video Game Culture. Sex Roles, 76(7–8), 421–435
READ BIO 958.1NOR
READ YA F RED